Overseas Student
Health Cover

ACTB is CRICOS registered and welcomes students from all over the world.

Australia has a special system of health cover for international students called Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). You will need to buy OSHC before you come to Australia to cover you from when you arrive. The Department of Immigration and Citizenship requires you to maintain OSHC for the duration of your time on a student visa in Australia.

How you can purchase OSHC?

You can arrange to pay for your OSHC through ACTB or you can purchase OSHC online by visiting the OSHC insurers’ websites. You retain the right to choose your own OSHC provider. ACTB does not recommend any specific provider and encourages you to arrange your own OSHC. If you request ACTB to arrange OSHC, please note that we use BUPA for your OSHC cover.

Your OSHC will help you pay for any medical or hospital care you may need while you’re studying in Australia, and it will contribute towards the cost of most prescription medicines, and an ambulance in an emergency.

OSHC does not cover dental, optical or physiotherapy. If you want to be covered for these treatments you will need to buy additional private health insurance, such as:

  • Extra OSHC provided by some OSHC providers;
  • International travel insurance; or·
  • General treatment cover with any Australian private health insurer.

You can find a list of these providers and search for the one that suits you best at www.privatehealth.gov.au or www.iselect.com.au.